Friday, January 11, 2008

Streetcars for downtown?

I was telling a buddy the other day about some comments I'd seen on da blogs during the whole Trinity toll road imbroglio suggesting we bring streetcars back to the streets of Dallas. Well, apparently Angela Hunt is onboard and very psyched about doing this to link the various parts of downtown with a free streetcar system. Here is her blog entry from Jan. 8.

I think this is a very cool idea, especially as we get more residents downtown. Part of the idea is to have bus service where the lines will eventually go to get it up and running more quickly.

I was wondering what happened to the DART operated trolley-buses that used to operate downtown in the late '90s. I believe those were free or very cheap. But they didn't seem to get much use. Perhaps we could drag those things back out and publicize the routes, and see if they are more popular with all of the new activity downtown.

I have to say, I really like how excited Ms. Hunt gets over this issue. She really has a vision for this city, and it involves making Dallas accessible and vibrant, and not just handing out tax breaks to developers. I'm looking forward to seeing how hard she pushes and what kind of consensus she can build on the council.

No comments: