Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sen. Clinton's tears

Maureen Down has a column today about Hillary Clinton's teary moment on Sunday. This was the scene at Dowd's office Monday morning:

A woman gazing at the screen was grimacing, saying it was bad. Three guys watched it over and over, drawn to the “humanized” Hillary.

My wife and I had basically the same reactions. I don't think it was calculated (even I'm not that cynical), but I don't think it was bad to show a more human or vulnerable side. My wife said it was a pretty bad move and that none of the men had to cry to show their humanity. I just found it interesting that our reactions were replicated in a NYT newsroom. And probably lots of other places.

Dowd goes on with very little sympathy for Clinton and comes to this line which I think sums up where her campaign has gone:

Her argument against Obama now boils down to an argument against idealism, which is probably the lowest and most unlikely point to which any Clinton could sink. The people from Hope are arguing against hope.

No comments: