Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Holiday musings

You need an iron constitution to preside over a high church Christmas Eve mass. As I was stifling coughs from all the incense, the rector was singing the gospel passage in a cloud of smoke. He must have the lungs of a blues singer.

Kids can get sick on Christmas Eve. And puke all night long (even if not exposed to incense).

Current favorite Christmas hymn: Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming. I couldn’t sing it to you, but the melody is stuck in my head. Some songs just say Christmas.

Still the best music for road trips, no matter the season: Robert Earl Keen.

I’m not sure I could ever move back to East Texas, but sometimes visiting makes me think I could. It is a nice place with good people. Not sure what I’d miss most, Whole Foods, the option of riding the train to work, or my great neighbors. I think we’ll stay put for a while in Big D.

Hide and seek is less about the hiding/seeking and more about the running around laughing.

Rearranging works. If upon packing for your return home all the gifts/luggage don’t fit in the trunk, take everything out and start over. Just make sure you can fit the gifts from the grandparents!

“Don’t make me turn this car around” is not a compelling threat on the return trip.

The Cotton Bowl game was played in the actual Cotton Bowl. This will only happen one more time, and that’s a little sad. Congrats to Mizzou.

New Year’s Eve is a time to be with good friends, but wives can get sick on New Year’s Eve. And sometimes New Year’s Day is just as good.

New Year Resolutions: haven’t made any yet. Try to slow down and enjoy the journey. That sounds like a good one.

The tree is still up and the lights are still on, and will remain so until Epiphany when the 3 wise guys will arrive late to the party and help us clean up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great musings and great to see family Ferrell.

Couple I would add:

- Trolleys are just as exciting as trains
- Naps continue to be underrated
- Family is always first and to be cherished
- Blue Moon, while good...is rather girly.

Cheers!