Friday, September 14, 2007

Sorta

My better half and I have been following the tragic news of the death last week of Dallas musician Carter Albrecht, who played keyboards and guitars for Sorta and keys for Edie Brickell and New Bohemians. (Check out the great pictures of Carter with the New Bohemians at their site.) All of the reports of his talent and discussions on the Ticket (sports talk radio and guilty pleasure) spurred the wife to download a couple of Sorta albums. Wow. Good stuff.

I’m not sure what it says about our culture that our response to tragedy was to go to iTunes and download music, but I’ll bet there’s a sociology paper in there somewhere. I’ll bet downloads of Pavarotti soared last week. But I digress.

I listened to the Sorta album Little Bay on the train this morning. I’ll describe it as bluesy, folksy rock (some of the tracks are I dare say slightly pop tinged) and the vocals are downright longing. I love the use of slide guitar in many of the tracks – sometimes more subtle than others. The keyboards on “to Jenny” are understated loveliness (I want to describe it as “raindroppy” but that makes no sense) in a nice little ballad. And I’m a sucker for nice little ballads. This is good music. And it’s been right here in our back yard. I also recommend the more recent album Strange and Sad But True.

I’m very happy to have been finally introduced to Sorta. Even though I was peripherally aware of them for years I had never listened to their music. Well it was my loss. And I’m sorry that it took the strange circumstances of Albrecht’s death to get us to take a listen.


...
O God who created in us a love and enjoyment of music that we may experience the divine, care for your servants who bless us and you with their talent, that they may sing your praises and be assured of your presence, to the glory of your name. Amen. May Carter Albrecht, Luciano Pavarotti, and all the faithful departed rest in peace and rise in glory. Amen.

1 comment: